Frequently Asked Questions

If you are looking for a Travel Agent for your commercial flight, consider Prelude Travel. Our guests receive a discount on their flights when coming to stay at Halley’s Camps. Prelude Travel can be reached by calling 1-800-561-8907. Remember to mention that your final destination is Halley’s Camps while getting your quote.


All persons traveling by air, land and sea outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card if they are crossing via vehicle. If the children are flying into Canada from the US, then they will have to have a passport. More information on US Passport requirements can be found at 

Minor children travelling without their parents or only one parent MUST have a notarized letter of consent to travel into Canada from the parent remaining at home, as well as some form of identification. Children will also require passports as noted above.

Lodge guests who are planning to have our Caravan meet them at Winnipeg International Airport or at Fort Frances are asked to book their commercial flights to arrive between the hours of 10:00a.m. to noon. We have found that this time frame seems to work best. Please do not book arrivals past 2:00 pm. If you are planning on driving to Caribou Falls Landing to boat into a lodge, your arrival time into Winnipeg should be 10:00 am-2:00 pm. As always, be sure that your departure flight is not scheduled to depart prior to 2:00 pm. This is absolutely a must in order to leave ample time for travel from your lodge to the airport.  Outpost guests arriving into Winnipeg must arrive the day before they are to arrive in at our outpost. Outpost guests should book their returning flight after 2:00 pm as well.  There are many factors to consider, for example weather issues and morning fog. Please remember that we would rather have plenty of leeway to get you to your destination than be pressed for time. A good rule of thumb is the later the better.

After you land at the Winnipeg International Airport, you need to collect your luggage and clear customs. Once this is done, proceed to the greeting lounge area, and one of our van service staff will meet your group there. He or she will be holding a sign with Halley’s Camps and your party name on it. Our airplane pickup point is just a short 10 minute drive from the Winnipeg International Airport, courtesy of Halley’s Camps.

In the event that your airline loses your luggage, report the missing luggage to the customer service desk, and leave Halley’s Camps as a contact. Upon retrieval of the luggage, the airline will contact us and make arrangements to deliver the luggage to Kenora, either to the Kenora Airport, the Bus Depot, or by chartered car if there is already a car making the trip. We will then pick up your luggage and deliver it directly to you.

Lost luggage does happen from time to time. Your medication and items you absolutely require should be packed in your carry-on.

This is not easily done and may involve a doctor or emergency room visit. Our advice is to pack any medication that you may need in your carry-on baggage and keep your eyes on it. It is much easier to replace clothing or fishing tackle than medication.

Smallmouth Bass: spinners, Mepps #3, top water lures, jigs with twister tails.
Walleye: 1/4 ounce to 3/8-ounce jigs with twister tails, crank bait, jig and a minnow.
Northern: spoons, bucktails, shad raps, trolling lures
Trout: ultralite lures, ultralite spoons, 3 way swivels.
On the Berens River we suggest lead heads with twister tails, spoons, spinners or crank bait. The walleye and northern will bite on all of these lures. There is no live bait used on the Berens River.

In most circumstances a good lightweight rainsuit should suffice. Pack a couple of ponchos for any kids in your group.

If you are staying at One Man Lake Lodge or Kettle Falls Lodge everything is provided for you at the lodge. The only things you need to bring are your personal items, suitable clothing and fishing rods and gear. Please note that there is a 50 lb weight limit for luggage/gear per person for parties that are flying in to our lodges.

At Caribou Falls Landing and our outpost cabins you are required to bring all of your own food. Cooking utensils and pots and pans are at the cabins. You also require your personal items, suitable clothing and fishing gear. At our outpost cabins, you will also need to bring bedding and towels. Note that there is a 100 lb weight limit for luggage/gear per person on flights from Kenora to the outposts. There is a 50 lb per person weight limit for luggage/gear on flights to the outposts from Winnipeg International Airport and provisioning is a must if we are picking up the group to fly directly into the outpost.

There are many great places to stay while visiting the Kenora area. The following is a short list of a few places around the city for your convenience, or, if there is somewhere else that you would like to stay or you want to get a room in Minaki please give us a call and we can help you out.

  • Clarion Inn Lakeside and Conference Centre: Phone 1-800-465-1120 or 1-807-468-5521
  • Days Inn: Phone 1-800-465-1123 or 1-807-468-2003,
  • Comfort Inn: Phone 1-800-228-5150 or 1-807-468-8845,
  • Lake Vu Motel: Phone 1-866-594-6366 or 1-807-468-5501,
  • Super 8 Motel: Phone 1-800-800-8000 or 1-807-468-8016,

The bug situation in the summer really depends on what type of spring we get and past weather. Some years the bugs are not at all a problem, while other years they are a bit worse, especially as the sun goes down. If you are concerned, we suggest bringing a good bug spray and perhaps a sleeved shirt and long pants.

Make sure that people at home know which Halley’s Camps location you are going to and what name your party is registered under. Your party could be at any of our numerous locations, and we do not always know off hand the name of everyone in the group. The “800” numbers will only be answered during regular business hours.

Halley’s Camps – 1-800-465-3325, during regular business hours.
Caribou Falls Landing – 807-224-4536, 6:30 am till 8:30 pm.
One Man Lake Lodge – 807-224-2652, 6:00 am till 8:30 pm.
Kettle Falls Lodge – 807-224-3483, 6:00 am till 8:30 pm.
River Air – 807-224-6531, 6:00 am till 5:00 pm.

Border wait times vary throughout the summer. The Canada Border Services Agency has a quick link for border wait times. Fort Frances is usually a very busy border. Other convenient border crossings for guests driving from the states are located at Emerson, MB; Pembina ND; Rainy River, ON; and Baudette, MN.

Our licenses are now a two-part system and you will have to have an Ontario outdoors card in order to obtain a fishing license tag. The cards are valid for 3 years, so keep your Ontario outdoors card and bring it with you on your next fishing trip.  Guests will need to purchase their Ontario Outdoors Cards and 8 day conservation fishing license ahead of time on line at: Home (

We have for sale at Halley’s Camps 8 day conservation fishing licenses. This license should suffice for most trips with us. If your trip is longer than a week or you will be on more that one fishing trip, we also have available seasonal fishing licenses. Any non resident children in your group do not require a license if fishing with a licensed adult, however, the limit on the one license must be adhered to. We recommend that non resident children go out fishing with their own fishing license.

Halley’s Camps
P.O. Box 608
Kenora, ON P9N3X6 Canada

When mailing us a letter, it is important that you place the word “Canada” at the end of the mailing address and 3 stamps. Some of our guests have been getting their mail to us returned to them due to an incomplete address. Rates for postage stamps for letters to Canada can be found on the USPS website.

Please note that this is no longer available for our guests as the government decided against the non-residents of Canada receiving HST rebate on fishing packages.


Start Your Perfect Getaway

Ready to experience some of the best walleye, northern and smallmouth fishing in Canada? Whether you desire all the comfort and luxury of a lodge or the escape and adventure of an outpost experience, Halley’s Camps offers something unique for everyone.

Wow do we love Rex Lake and the outpost, and how we love Halley's. You guys are a dream come true. How I wish that I found you 10 years ago!
Jeff Creek

What's Happening at Halley's

Sign up for monthly updates about what's happening and what's on the line at Halley's